Friday 16 March 2012

Superhero of the Month...

Superhero of the Month is a really cool blog that asks readers to redesign a different superhero each month. This month the chosen character is actually a team- the Birds of Prey, who have had a changing roster over the years. I chose to redesign Black Canary and Huntress, who have been two of the team's most enduring members. I have no idea if they will be posting my designs, but I'm posting them here for you to see, along with a brief description of how I came up with each design.


I think the key to the Birds of Prey is that they are rugged women who will do what nobody else can, so it was this that I kept in mind when designing them.
The Black Canary has always struck me as a trashy dresser with those fishnets and leather jacket, so I took that as my starting point and made her the type of woman who'd be at home in a rough nightclub. I kept leather as her main texture, but moved the fishnet onto her back and forearms, covering her up her legs while echoing traditional martial arts arm strapping. I cut her hair short so that it won't get in the way in a fight.
The Huntress is a brawler, so I gave her tough leather padding and got rid of her exposed hair and her cape, which would be a target in battle. I covered her mouth with black cloth to emphasize her ninja-like stealth, and mounted her trademark crossbow on her arm so that it can't be wrestled from her. Her harness-like styling mirrors her traditional crucifix motif, while also suggesting a tough, S+M look.

I hope you like the designs, I had a lot of fun drawing them!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks again for sending in your design! FYI, we post almost everything we receive. The only exceptions are when someone doesn't follow the guidelines (such as submissions including nudity or ones that are highly sexualized), or has sent a submission in as a joke. Fortunately, that one doesn't happen too often. :) Thanks again for submitting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your huntress, i find it bold and captures something about the heroine pious personality. It was really smart to get rid of the white since she use stealth all the time...The boots and gloves should be more in link: either with black elbow pads or the boots being more like the bracelets and going up to the knee, but that's nitpicking on my part

    ReplyDelete